The Role – Health & Safety Manager
This role will be looking after the SE/E and some Midlands areas. It is a field based role (work from home) and an ideal location for the candidate would be in the M1/A1 corridors. The successful candidate will be provided with a car and expected to travel regularly with overnight stays expected.
The purpose of the role is:
- To act as a member of the Bensons UK Group Legal Compliance and Safety Team.
- To provide Bensons as required with advice, guidance and support in all Health & Safety matters within the Bensons Group policy to ensure a safe working environment compliant with all legal requirements across all of our locations.
- To provide routine cross function proactive and reactive support and activity within an identified geographic area of operation.
- To encourage and drive a strong commitment to continuous improvement involving the constant development of policies, systems and site operations consistent with Group needs to improve safety performance and consequently reduce claims exposure
Working within the Group Legal Compliance and Safety Team to:
- Co-ordinate allocated function health and safety matters to ensure the function complies with all legal requirements and to minimise business risk
- Provide an advisory safety role to allocated function line management
- Undertake cross function site safety and fire risk assessments as directed and ensure all reporting is complete
- Undertake programmed audits cross function as required by the Group Head of Legal Compliance and Safety
- Assist in the development effective policies and procedures with an emphasis on a consistent cross function standards and implementation
- Identify best practice within the allocated functions and opportunities for sharing this within the Group Legal Compliance and Safety Team
- Provide analysis and trend reports and commentary on H&S and claims data
- Maintain and audit health and safety records
- Set up safety systems and procedures and monitor these by Group safety audit and inspections
- Assist in the developments of internal and external KPI’s
- Undertake accident investigations for Bensons and insurers and reporting cross function as required
- Promote Company HS&E initiatives and promote a positive culture
- Provide competent HS&E advice and information upon request
- Liaise with safety representatives, insurers and enforcement authorities as required within the allocated geographic area of operation
- Undertake and provide basic and specialist safety training and core safety briefs as required
- Assist in the production of reports for the senior management team.
- Ensure we have adequate first aid at all sites and first aid trained staff where applicable
- Participate in ad-hoc projects as and when required
- Keep up to date with changes in the law
- Plan, deliver, and evaluate Group Safety activities and initiatives with the Group Legal Compliance and Safety Team
- To lead by example and deliver a level of service in accordance with Group Legal Compliance and Safety Team’s requirements with the aim of setting the benchmark for safety performance in our sector.
- To participate as an effective and willing team member in order to achieve individual and team goals.
- To ensure the Health and Safety of self, customers and colleagues is not at risk, taking all reasonable steps to ensure safety in the workplace.
- To adhere to all Company policies and procedures.
- To undertake the required training and development.
- To undertake any tasks as reasonably requested by management.
- Effective self-management as this is a field based role with travel and overnight stays