The role of the Health and Safety Manager is to manage how the WBHE Project carries out our legal obligations and related duties under current and future Health and Safety legislation, taking responsibility for the development and management of robust H&S strategies, policies, processes and procedures and assisting line managers in their implementation.
Key Success Measures
• Safety & Ethics ¿ Support the implementation of the Business Conduct Guidelines, Colas Rail Limited Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) strategy, associated actions and resulting initiatives, to deliver continuous improvement in all areas.
• Excellence ¿ Ensure work is carried out with a continuous view to profitability and efficiency and look after our shareholders by guaranteeing that they see value for money and a profitable business. Quality is key to competitiveness. Take responsibility for delivering on time and on budget a high quality product or service, which Colas Rail can take pride in.
• People ¿ Demonstrate respect for colleagues, our clients and the environment in all areas of work.
Key Areas of Responsibility & Accountability
• Successfully deliver the safety related and allocated MMA Business Plan Success Factors, Objectives and related actions as directed by the Construction Contracts Manager for the MMA projects
• Support the development, communication and inclusion of Health and Safety documentation into the project work packages. Identify and communicate improvement plans to all stakeholders, ensuring a risk based approach is adopted and high risk areas are prioritised
• Liaise with regulatory bodies as necessary to ensure that the Project remains compliant with statutory requirements, in all its office and site based activities
• Periodically review and advise on Health and Safety legislative changes and commensurate required change of working practices in MMA
• Develop and maintain collaborative and effective working relationships with the WBHE Project partners, relevant office and site colleagues to promote health and safety compliance and improvement
• Attend and lead where appropriate Project H&S meetings and discussions, support the Project team and Construction Contracts Manager or delegated authority
• To act on instruction or initiate where appropriate the preparation and delivery of H&S communications, Alerts, Bulletins, initiatives and campaign material
• Working with the appropriate functional leads and training department, identify H&S training needs and deliver or co-ordinate the delivery of appropriate H&S training, technical and supplementary
• Advise on the introduction of safe operational procedures across the projects, which identify and take account of all relevant hazards. This to include adoption of Alliance Partners and industry identified best practices and contributions.
• Support development, implementation and understanding of the MMA Integrated / Safety Management system.
• Periodically verify/audit the accuracy of the information and prepare reports of significant trends within the data.
• To develop and maintain the Health and Safety annual assurance plan and deliver the audit schedule in conjunction with identified support
• Carry out and record regular audit inspections to check compliance with policies and procedures, proposing necessary changes to working practices if necessary.
• Plan practical and effective methods, both preventative and remedial, of promoting health and safety good and best working practices.
• Conduct RIDDOR and Serious accident/incident investigations on and produce management reports and recommendations, in addition to supporting managers with non-RIDDOR investigations.
• Support and advise line managers in the carrying out of risk assessments and production of safe systems of work, identifying risk reduction strategies.
• Support the development of an exemplary H&S culture within the MMA
• Produce monthly and weekly reports on H&S as well as providing appropriate input to Project Reports, dashboards and Health and Safety communications, maintain the upkeep of CARL data and work with the MMA teams to ensure timely close out of issues
• To provide support, guidance and instruction to the Site based Health and Safety advisor
• To maintain information, records and data in MMA approved locations ( Project Wise)
• Technical Degree in a relevant discipline, or equivalent (OHS Diploma / NVQ 5 in OSH)
• H&S regulations and legislations
• Competent Auditor & Trained Risk Assessor
• Lead Investigator (IOSH/TOPSET or equivalent)
• Able to prepare H&S reports and subsequent analysis related to leading/lagging indicators and trends
• Managing environmental responsibilities
• Adept at establishing and maintaining productive and open relationships with stakeholders and customers
• Self-starting approach to prioritising issues to meet the business requirement
• Good communicator at all levels, both oral and written
• Effective time management
• Results orientated and committed to the work undertaken
• Demonstrates polite, enthusiastic, helpful and professional approach at all times
• Behavioural / Collaboration knowledge¿
• Energy ¿ ‘Get up and go’ attitude of a leader
• Energise ¿ Lead, manage and inspire my team
• Edge ¿ Maximise my personal edge
• Execute ¿ Make things happen
• Engage ¿ Stay close to the client
Stronger Together Principles (not covered above)
• Marketing, Business development & Sales
• Best in Class Practices
• Communication & Identity
• External Growth