The job holder will be required to work closely with managers across PBL to assess their needs and ensure the delivery of H&S plans. The job holder will also be required to work closely with a number of committees and groups, particularly the PBL Safety Group and the PHE Porton Site Safety Committee. In addition, the post holder will liaise with Executive Directors, Operational Managers, Project Managers and other parts of PBL, e.g. Production and Quality.
The post holder will be required to work closely with a number of external stakeholders such as HSE and other regulators and represent PBL on matters relating to H&S for example the UK Regulatory Agencies.
• Develop and execute H&S plans in the workplace according to legal guidelines.
• Prepare and enforce policies to establish a culture of H&S. Evaluate practices, procedures and facilities to assess risk and adherence to the law.
• Work proactively with managers and other key staff to establish and maintain a programme of continuous improvement in the management of H&S, well-being, etc. Within their areas of responsibility.
• Ensure that rigorous risk assessment and incident management systems are in place and followed across the organisation. Accountable for setting and overseeing the incident investigation process.
• Conduct training and presentations for H&S matters and accident prevention.
• Oversee the adherence to the PBL Safety Improvement plan. Recommend solutions to issues, improvement opportunities or new prevention measures.
• Maintain close liaison with management, scientific, technical, engineering, maintenance and administrative staff to ensure high standards of H&S.
• Actively maintain high levels of awareness of H&S practices and legislation; monitor compliance to policies and H&S laws.
• Maintain and develop a high level of understanding of the nature and significance of the work carried out by the scientific, technical, engineering, maintenance and administrative staff of PBL.
• Manage a system of auditing and seeking assurance of H&S in accordance with PBL policies and procedures.
• Take a lead role in the development of H&S standards and systems across PBL.
• Participate and lead as necessary in emergency and unplanned events and participate in safety groups and in investigations of accidents and incidents as required.
• Maintain in an appropriate form such records and systems as are necessary to fulfil H&S policy, including those containing confidential information.
• Maintain H&S competences to national standards.
• To comply with all PBL policies and procedures.
• To perform any other duties as per instructions of line manager/senior management.
• BSc/BA in safety management or relevant field
• NEBOSH Certificate/Diploma
• Proven experience as a safety manager
• 3-5 years experience in a health and safety role
• Experience of managing health & safety activities
• Knowledge of statutory requirements
• Specialist skills in GMP and biological safety
• Experience of managing related hazards, such as fire, environment etc
• Experience of leading committees and working groups
• Deep understanding of legal H&S guidelines
• Experience of managing a training and audit programme
• Completing H&S Audits nd implementing action plans
• Exceptional communication skills, attention to detail and time management