We are currently seeking applications for a Senior Health and Safety Manager within Social Security based in Dundee or Glasgow. This is a permanent and pensionable appointment and new entrants will normally start on the minimum of the pay range. Candidates with a disability who meet the essential criteria below will be invited to the assessments.
Social Security Scotland is an Executive Agency of the Scottish Government. In Scotland we have a number of devolved benefits, and it’s our responsibility to ensure that they are managed correctly and fairly, delivering those benefits to the 1.4 million people who rely on them. Dignity, fairness and respect are at the core of everything we do. We demonstrate these values by making our work as transparent and accountable as possible. We are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce that is representative of the clients we serve. Our benefits will help people from all walks of life in Scotland and it is crucial our workforce reflects this diversity.
We aim to develop within Social Security Scotland, a positive and inclusive culture, which supports our people to flourish, by embedding a working environment where we all treat each other with dignity and respect, and recognise each other’s contributions.
Colleagues of Social Security Scotland work in a diverse, supportive environment. In certain roles staff use flexible working. We are happy to accept your application if you wish to work part-time. You will have a minimum 5 weeks of annual leave (pro rata) in addition to all public and privilege holidays. Roles within Scottish Government allow for a number of other benefits including great support from managers through monthly conversations and a strong mentoring scheme. All staff are given a workstation assessment so that we can make you as comfortable as possible in your new role by putting in place any reasonable adjustments you may require./nJob description
The Senior Health and Safety Manager is responsible for supporting the continued health, safety and wellbeing of staff through the development, implementation, and maintenance all Health & Safety Policies, Procedures, Systems and Legislative requirements. The main duties include:
• Responsibility for all health and safety matters across Social Security Scotland, identifying and responding to current legal and best practice requirements.
• Build and develop strong working relationships with managers, staff and appropriate external partners including Trade Unions and Scottish Government.
• Provide appropriate health & safety advice, guidance and support to managers and staff at all levels.
• Regularly review the Agency’s Health & Safety and associated policies and procedures and ensure they are implemented consistently, undertaking audits and ensuring action plans with suitable objectives are established to address issues identified.
• Develop a framework that ensures that all required inspections and fire drills are carried out, accidents and incidents are correctly reported, risk assessments and lone working procedures are managed and Agency staff are aware of their responsibilities.
• Monitor, evaluate and review existing, new and upcoming health and safety legislation and ensure that the Agency has systems and procedures in place to meet legal compliance and other requirements.
• Support the development of an inclusive health & safety culture across the Agency that aligns with our culture and values.
• Build, manage, coach and develop the Health & Safety team to provide an efficient and effective health & safety service to the Agency.
1\. A strong track record delivering positive outcomes in a Health & Safety management environment.
2\. An ability to influence and build effective relationships with a range of stakeholders including individuals. groups, trade unions, ministers and other public bodies
3\. An enabler – able to develop effective and practical solutions to complex issues or rigid situations.
4\. An ability to manage change and moving deadlines both on a personal and work level, working in a high profile, faced paced and demanding environment