Full Job Description
Reports to: Chief Operations Officer
Location: Manchester Science Park
Contract Type: Full-time, Permanent
Salary & Benefits: Competitive Salary + Benefits Package
About Yourgene Health:
Yourgene Health is a leading integrated technologies and services business, enabling the delivery of genomic medicine. The group works in partnership with global leaders in DNA technology to advance diagnostic science.
Yourgene primarily develops, manufactures, and commercialises simple and accurate molecular diagnostic solutions, for reproductive health, precision medicine and infectious diseases. The Group’s flagship in vitro diagnostic products include non -invasive prenatal tests (NIPT) for Down’s Syndrome and other genetic disorders, Cystic Fibrosis screening tests, invasive rapid aneuploidy tests and DPYD genotyping.
Yourgene has a range of innovative DNA sample preparation platforms, powered by Ranger Technology, the Yourgene LightBench and Yourgene QS250, ideal for cell free DNA applications in NIPT and oncology including liquid biopsy.
Yourgene also has a global laboratory service network equipped to be a full life-cycle partner for clinical, research and pharmaceutical organisations to support partners at the preclinical, clinical, and post market stage to develop, manufacture, obtain regulatory approval and commercialise new products and services. In addition, Yourgene offers and NIPT and high throughput Covid testing service.
Yourgene Health is headquartered in Manchester, UK with facilities in Taipei, Singapore, the US and Canada.
Yourgene is a growing, vibrant and exciting place to work, we are looking for committed driven individuals to be part of our next growth journey. Our culture is described by our employee’s as collegiate, friendly, professional, innovative, open and fast paced. We have nay social and well-being initiatives run by our Social Huddle that keep our sense of community alive during challenging times that the pandemic has thrown our way. At Yourgene we focus on putting values led programmes in place to ensure that we can attract, retain and develop our people. We want our people to have a career with Yourgene and we ensure that they are recognised and rewarded for their achievements and commitment, everyone plays a critical role in our growth journey.
Description of role:
Experienced and knowledgeable Health and Safety Officer with experience of working within the in vitro Diagnostics or Medical Devices industry to the required industry H&S standards and legislation.
This role will help to co-ordinate, support and advise the Business on all aspects with regards to Health, Safety & Environment, COSHH, fire safety and overall facilities management. To establish, manage and monitor standards, processes, communications, training and systems, to ensure that all responsibilities associated with Health and Safety are adhered to across sites.
The role requires management and liaison with the senior management team, internal team functions, regulatory authorities, and Yourgene Health’s partner organisations.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Ensure a safe workplace environment for laboratory, warehouse, office and field-based employees, to a level of acceptable risk.
- Ensure that all incidents are documented, investigated and recommended improvements implemented, and ensure compliance with all external HSE/COSHH reporting requirements
- Take a lead role in managing the Company’s programme to adapt to the COVID-19 “new normal”
- Manage/work towards H&S and E recognized Management systems – ISO45001 and ISO14001
- Ensure that all Health, Safety, Environment, COSHH and fire safety policies, procedures, rules and regulations are adhered to and are regularly reviewed, updated and communicated.
- Ensure the Company meets its statutory obligations in all areas pertaining to health, safety and welfare at work, including statutory training and reporting, with appropriate records kept
- Co-ordinate and drive the completion and regular review of Risk and COSHH Assessments for all work equipment and operations.
- Ensure that safety inspections are carried out, fire drills and fire alarms are correctly reported, safety inspections and lone working procedures are managed, and employees are aware of their responsibilities, in alignment with onsite facility management.
- Manage the development of health & safety policies/procedures and systems of work, within a document control management system.
- Establish a full program of documented health & safety inspections, audits and checks.
- Establish a structured program of health & safety training throughout the Company.
- Liaise with external consultants in the provision of training programs and health and safety services, as applicable.
- Manage and devise the agenda for, chair and formulate & distribute minutes for the Health & Safety Committee meetings, ensuring that all agreed action points are completed within deadlines.
- Keep up to date with all aspects of relevant health, safety & welfare at work legislation and communicate relevant changes to the business.
- Provide regular reports to the Human Resources Manager, Board of Directors/Senior Management Team on relevant health and safety activities.
- Participate in monthly meetings when required to report on relevant health & safety matters. Liaise with suppliers of H&S Management systems.
- Manage the Combined Liability Insurance portfolio insofar as it relates to the HSO role remit.
- Any other reasonable duties which may be required by management from time to time.
- Yourgene Health management and staff
- Other Yourgene Health functions
- External companies and authorities such as the HSE, Fire and Rescue Service, and Environmental Health Office
- No direct supervision but a key role in influencing the Company’s behaviour at all levels
- Management of Personal Development system, skills matrix, HR systems applicable
Qualifications, Skills and Abilities
- At least 3 years recent and relevant experience in a similar role
- Member of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health (MIOSH)
- International Institute of Risk and Safety Management (IIRSM)
- NEBOSH (General Certificate) qualified
- NEBOSH Environmental Certificate
- COSHH Trained (chemical and biological)
- Fire Safety Management qualification
- Desirable qualifications:
- NEBOSH Diploma in H&S and E
- Chartered Member of institute of Occupational Safety & Health (CMIOSH)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Provision of advice to managers/supervisors
- Knowledge of H&S and E Management Platforms
- Familiar with the management of Plan Do Check Act processes, and Task Management
- Handling of H&S investigations
- Experience of formulating, implementing and revising H&S policies and procedures
- Experience of biological Laboratory safety requirements to a minimum of CL2, preferable CL3
- Confidential in all matters
- Professional approach coupled with strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent planning, organizational and time management skills
- Excellent verbal, written communication and presentation skills
- Strong IT skills
- Knowledge of Microsoft packages
- Ability to work on own initiative
- Ability to work in, and adapt to a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to work co-operatively with others to complete tasks and implement process improvements
- Support for HSE activities linked to HR inductions e.g. VDU assessments, equipment set up
- Performance Management Gathering, analysing and reporting on key H&S KPIs . With ability to present trend analysis, root cause analysis and proactive corrective action management, to embed continuous improvement
- Flexible and co-operative at all times
- An assertive but calm demeanor
- Focused attitude to delivery
- Good timekeeping and attendance record
- Ability to work well with multifunctional teams to achieve practical solutions
- Good attention to detail/records management
Sunday 18th February 2024
Yourgene Health is committed to encouraging equality, diversity and inclusion among our workforce. The aim is for our workforce to be truly representative of all sections of society and for each employee to feel respected and able to give their best.