Full Job Description
Nuclear Restoration Services (NRS) is the new brand of Magnox Limited, a wholly owned subsidiary of the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA). NRS is responsible for decommissioning first generation nuclear power stations Berkeley, Bradwell, Chapelcross, Dungeness A, Hinkley Point A, Hunterston A, Oldbury, Sizewell A, Trawsfynydd and Wylfa, and research sites Harwell and Winfrith. NRS is also responsible for electricity generation at hydroelectric plant Maentwrog. As a division of NRS, Dounreay is responsible for the clean-up and demolition of the former centre of fast reactor research and development.
NRS is an exciting place to be, and this role is the perfect opportunity for you to be part of our challenging mission – to safely and successfully manage the UK’s civil nuclear legacy on behalf of the nation. To deliver our commitment, we need people like you who want to perform at an industry leading standard and be part of a team that continues to develop, innovate and even exceed our greatest achievements.
At NRS, we understand, and acknowledge the value of an inclusive working environment, and celebrate the diversity this brings to our workplace. Without this approach, we wouldn’t be in the position that we are now, being able to safeguard and secure the future of our organisation.
About the role
Hear from the Hiring Manager…
“The EHSSQ team provide technical advice, support and assurance to work carried out at Harwell & Winfrith. The Safety Manager is a key role within this team and has responsibility and accountability at Harwell and Winfrith Sites; a base site to be mutually agreed however an element of travel between the sites is expected. The role requires the successful candidate to attend site on a full-time basis”.
- Provide expert, authoritative advice to the Site on industrial safety and operational experience feedback as required.
- Provide expert-level advice, support and guidance on safety issues throughout the Site.
- Develop policies and arrangements for compliance with industrial safety, emergency planning and operational experience feedback statutory and company requirements as required.
- Promote effective Health and Safety standards with a positive staff culture for continuous improvement.
- Ensure that safety publicity and campaigns are developed and deliver to promote awareness and improvement.
- Set targets, monitor performance and take action as necessary to maintain safety standards and improve performance.
- Identify good practice in performance at sites and externally, and promote and deploy across the Functions/Sites.
- Provide and maintain arrangements for the effective recording, reporting and investigation of events and the promulgation of identified learning across the Site
- As a customer-focused individual, the post holder will be expected to support delivery within his or her range of skills, knowledge, experience and competence.
- Provide assurance of the adequacy of safety arrangements through audit, inspections, investigation of events and self-assessment reviews.
- Support the interface with the relevant Regulator or external authorities.
Qualifications and Experience:
- Educated to NQF level 6 / NVQ Level 6 (or equivalent in a post related subject)
- Member of a relevant professional institute
- Diploma or equivalent in relevant specialism. E.g. NEBOSH
- Relevant experience in specialism related roles
- Experience at a nuclear site or other high hazard industry in own specialism
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU CAN BE BASED EITHER FROM OUR HARWELL OR WINFRITH LOCATION BUT WILL BE REQUIRED TO TRAVEL BETWEEN THE TWO SITES
- Nuclear Restoration Services (NRS) staff should refer to the document titled “Spot Point v Grade alignment” available on SharePoint for more information on how the grade structure aligns to Spot Points.
- Flexible working – where possible.
- The equivalent of 25 days (185 hours per year) annual leave plus Public Holidays (59.2 hours per year). This increases by 2 days (14.8 hours per year) annual leave after two full calendar years of service (as at 5th January in the leave year) , and an additional 3 days (22.2 hours per year) annual leave after five full calendar years of service (as at 5th January in the leave year). You also have the option to buy or sell the equivalent of 5 days (37 hours) annual leave each year (available in specific windows for the following holiday year). For the purpose of assessing an employee’s annual leave entitlement, a day means seven and two fifths (7.4) hours. A pro rata entitlement will apply for part time workers.
- Flexible benefits scheme – including cycle to work and reduced gym membership fees.
- Participation in Company Bonus Scheme (up to £5,500 per annum based on corporate objectives).
- Employee Assistance Programme including 24-hour telephone support & personal assistance service and access to an online wellbeing App.
- Up to 13.5% employer pension contribution depending on individual contribution amount.
- Access to training and development through the company performance management arrangements, supporting you in maintaining your personal Continuous Professional Development.
- We have various different employee networks supporting our inclusion, diversity and wellbeing mission at Nuclear Restoration Services (NRS).
Please be aware this role holder requires security clearance, or the ability to obtain said clearance.
There is a requirement to live within a commutable distance to the sites where the role is based. For central/multi-site roles, we have various hubs across the UK and can be flexible with base location.
We value the unique differences that each of our colleagues bring to work every day and are committed to creating an environment where everyone feels respected, included and able to perform at their best.
At Nuclear Restoration Services (NRS), we are committed to creating a workplace that is diverse and inclusive, we therefore particularly welcome applications from Women, Black, Asian and Ethnic Minorities, LGBT+ and candidates with a disability as they are all underrepresented in our workforce.
We are happy to talk flexible working where possible.