20th Apr, 2019 Read time 3.5 minutes

How to make a RIDDOR report

Once you have familiarised yourself with the various regulations and rules around RIDDOR incidents, it is time to learn how to make a report should you be faced with a work-related incident. Only someone in control of the work premises, like a manager or employer, should fill out a RIDDOR report.

RIDDOR reports are important to fill out as they help ensure your workplace is compliant with up to date health and safety legislation. It also helps provide a robust database for the HSE Executive who can then compile data and reports looking at accident trends across the UK. the

RIDDOR regulations hold employers responsible for negligence and bad working practices, so following them will help you create a safer working environment. This is why it is essential to know how to fill out a RIDDOR report to ensure that you stay compliant with the important regulations and rules.


What does RIDDOR stand for?
RIDDOR stands for the Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences Regulations and helps to determine which incidents, injuries need to be reported to the HSE Executive.


Step 1: Work out which RIDDOR report you need to create 

RIDDOR reports are submitted directly through the HSE Executive website. The type of report you need to make will depend on the nature of the incident. The different forms relate to the:


  • Report of an injury
  • Report of a case of disease
  • Report of a flammable gas incident
  • Report of a dangerous occurrence
  • Report of a dangerous gas fitting


Step 2: Submit the RIDDOR report in the appropriate place

Reports can be made by telephone however they have to be in regards to major health and safety incidents. These can be submitted to the Incident Contact Centre on 0345 300 9923 (opening hours Monday to Friday 8.30 am to 5 pm).

Reports take the form of an online form, which is then added directly to the RIDDOR database. For more information on the types of incidents that are RIDDOR reportable, take a look at the reportable incidents page at from the HSE Executive.


Step 3: Follow the best practice for filling out a RIDDOR report 

When filling out the RIDDOR report, you will have to give information on your company, yourself, and as much detail as you can about the incident in hand. Each report will be different but all will require you to give information on your companies industry and any other relevant information.


  • Always keep some kind of record of any RIDDOR report you make, this is a legal requirement. Once an incident has happened you should notify it through the HSE executive as quickly as possible.
  • Keep in mind the when, where and who principle. Giving as much detail as possible will decrease the likelihood of a repeat incident. Try to give an idea of the chain of events leading up to the incident.
  • When you are establishing what happened try to be as factual as possible. Approach the situation without bias and keep in mind all possible reasons for the incident occurring


What do the RIDDOR Regulations Mean?
1 Minute


Always consider whether you need to fill out a RIDDOR report or not

Whilst all incidents should be recorded in a workplace as a matter of good practice, you may find that some types of injury or workplace incidents do not need to be submitted via a RIDDOR report to the HSE Executive.

Always make sure you know what needs to be submitted and what doesn’t. Remember, the UK Government has recently deemed cases of COVID-19 RIDDOR reportable under certain circumstances, make sure you know what these are to stay compliant with legislation.


What incidents are RIDDOR reportable?

When you are looking to fill out a RIDDOR report it is important to have a good understanding of which incidents you need to report. The table below outlines some of the incidents that are reportable from the HSE Executive. It provides an outline of the main incidents but is not comprehensive.

IncidentFurther information
The death of any person All deaths to workers and non-workers, with the exception of suicides, must be reported if they arise from a work-related accident, including an act of physical violence to a worker.
Specified injuries to workers There are a number of injuries that need to be reported which can be found on the HSE Executive portal.
Over-seven-day incapacitation of a worker Any incident which results in a worker being out of action for over 7 days must be RIDDOR reported.
Over-three-day incapacitation Over 3 day incapacitations must be recorded, but not necessarily reported.
Non fatal accidents to non-workers (eg members of the public) Incidents involving members of the public may be RIDDOR reportable.
Occupational diseases Occupational diseases such as dermatitis and carpal tunnel syndrome must be reported.
Dangerous occurrences Dangerous occurrences which could lead to an incident must be RIDDOR reported.
Gas incidents Gas incidents such as leaks and the combustion of gas must be reported.


HSE Executive (2021) RIDDOR reportable incidents: https://www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/reportable-incidents.htm

HSE Executive (2021) How to make a RIDDOR report: https://www.hse.gov.uk/riddor/report.htm

Brands who we work with

Sign up to our newsletter
Keep up to date with all HSE news and thought leadership interviews